Richard Uutmaa’s childhood home was in Altja, where he often went to paint in the 1930’s and the first half of the 1940’s. But his home farm was destroyed in the war and afterwards Uutmaa looked for places where he could paint. Uutmaa undertook several trips by motorcycle or car throughout Estonia. It is known that in 1960, he spent time in the Rõuge area in Southern Estonia as well as in Saaremaa and on Muhu Island. The scene in this painting is also from somewhere in one of those areas.